Believing in Teachers, Effects of PD, Recognizing Allington & Other Voices
There continues to be a raging debate concerning education reform in our nation. The response for policy change range from structural to instructional. Often the debate is framed around a Hobson choice of what might be viewed as a plethora of mutually exclusive options. Obviously for those in schools and those who advocate and lead for change, the choice should never be either or. What we at the NUA feel is required is provided by an African proverb, i.e., "If you want to go quickly go alone, if you want to go further go together." From excellent opinion pieces such as that provided by Chancellor Joel Klein recently writing in the "Washington Post," to an interview with the wise and indomitable sage who is Richard Allington (see below), to Linda Darling-Hammond's seminal new book "The Flat World & Education: How America's Commitment to Equity Will Determine our Future," to the surprising turn that Diane Ravitch has taken in her hotly debated new book, "The Death And Life Of The Great American School System: How Testing and Choice Are Undermining Education," readers might come away enlightened and yet confounded by what direction to take in the "fierce urgency of now" required to improve the life trajectory of students -- especially for those we have called "school dependent."
In the face of the strong winds and currents which may force educators in one direction or another, or at worse, to be doomed to repeat one failure after another -- caused by the proverbial swinging pendulum in education my mother always spoke to me while under her guidance -- hopefully in consideration, many will not lose the focus on the classroom and the leaders who stand with and for schoolchildren and youth.
For years, and then captured by Bill Sanders and his colleagues, many have and continue to focus on teachers as the single most important factor related to the possibility of systemic education reform. Sadly, in over-generalized appeals, approximately 3.7 million teachers are often criticized and blamed for what ails our education system. Policy which strive for the proverbial stick and carrot are ardently sought. Given the guidance of systems theory, this more than likely is a mistake, and leads at times to specious claims. Rather we need to build systems which nurture and guide our nation's educators. Professional development which situates culture, language and cognition in learning provides guidance and exemplar as an approach which can build organically on other interventions.
NUA is known for its pedagogy, as well as its "whole child" approach that includes being confident --educators who partner with us have grown and have become competent. NUA is values-directed and data-driven. The value of never giving up on schoolchildren. The recognition that school, community and the students themselves are responsible for improved learning and the guidance data provides. Data as feedback -- not the fundamental goal and not the substance of change. All mutually adapted to the differentiated learning and teaching necessary to support diverse school populations. An application of "simple fairness and basic justice" for all.
What follows is just one example of a district initiative which is focused laser-like on improving teacher quality through a programmatic and yes, pragmatic professional development process which engages the community as well. School and community working to engage in support of the teachers and learning in classrooms. Building a commitment to excellence in learning and teaching in spite of the challenges of economic downturns.
What follows is first an e-response to us from an EACS administrator, and then followed by teacher reflections captured by an NUA mentor. These are followed by a student video -- a driving focus by schoolchildren on improving their achievement on Indiana's high stakes test called iSTEP. Striving to enable belief, hope, determination and confidence in their ability. This is followed by an Edweek interview with Richard Allington.
Eric @ www.nuatc.org
From: jzehr@eacs.k12.in.us
To: NUA4556@aol.com
Sent: 4/18/2010 8:11:35 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time
Subj: Re: What a collection of support from Southwick to NUA!
I read these all AGAIN - so gratifying for me personally, I can only imagine how you must feel. I equate training teachers who "get it" and implement successfully to giving birth and watching a child grow up and take those first steps. It is an incredible blessing to be a part of developing the capacity of teachers and I will never, never take it for granted. Each teacher who awakens to the power of the growth mind set and takes those first steps to dramatically change instruction means hundreds of children's lives will be forever changed. Those children will then grow up to be different adults and parents than they would have been without the effect of an empowering teacher who believed in them. WE IMPACT ETERNITY!
I am off to the new church - Rick and I will be introduced to the congregation today as the new leaders of Central Christian School - WHAT an opportunity we have been given!
Have a good day my friend,
Jeanne
>>> <NUA4556@aol.com> 4/16/2010 3:46 PM >>>
>>> <NUA4556@aol.com> 4/16/2010 3:46 PM >>>
| goals: | Hopefully, there will be a next site visit. If so we will continue the work of the EACS/NUA Believe To Succeed partnership Continue to support district goals Developing an Understanding of the Impact of Culture |
| Reflection 1: | A glimpse of good news on the horizon, given the educational triggers of downward staff reduction, is the attitude of positivism. One major concern that the teachers have is the anxiety of the unknown future. The teachers were upbeat and positive throughout the activities. They shared their reflections on the learning, completing the frame as follows: As a result of my interactions with NUA. I learned many great strategies for teaching for greater understanding and comprehension. I feel I will use many of the tools, such as thinking maps and taxonomies to help students' master concepts and gain understanding. I believe that these concepts truly will help the students be more engaged and on task in their learning. I always will do my best to help students achieve and set high expectations for them. A mind can always grow and continue to learn. I have a clearer understanding of how children learn, how to motivate, how important it is that we celebrate together. I learned how to accelerate student learning, how to use thinking maps, how to make learning meaningful. I feel privileged to have been a part of this learning. I believe all teachers should have this opportunity. I always will grateful to NUA bringing this learning to us. I learned may strategies, tools, activities, maps and great research to be a better teacher to help my students be better learners and performers. I feel the 3 years of training have made me so much more aware of how students learn best (and how I learn best, too). I always will use and remember the things I have learned to help my class reach High Intellectual Performance. I learned the value of thinking maps. I feel that they are helpful to understand different content areas in a way that students will learn and understand the big idea and how to break it down into smaller pieces. I will always try to use the maps as often as possible. I learned that learning is influenced by the interaction of culture, language and cognition. I feel that understanding a student's culture is vital for learning. I believe, truly, that intelligence is modifiable. I always will remember what NUA has done for my understanding of how students learn. I learned how to be a culturally relevant teacher. I feel like I now have skills to be a more effective teacher. I believe NUA is exactly what Southwick needed. I always will remember these strategies. I learned how to teach my students differently. I feel fortunate to have had this opportunity. I believe the strategies I have learned will make a difference. I always will continue to use NUA Strategies and build community for all my students. I will always remember Dr. B and her energy! Truly a gift! I hope my students will continue to show growth and feel confident in their learning. I hope they continue to build on their learning. I learned I need to stretch myself as a teacher, planner and learner. I feel empowered by the tools given to me. I believe all students deserve to be challenged for High Intellectual Performance. I always will remember to be intentional in my teaching daily and intentionally engage my students. I learned to motivate students to learn. I feel privileged to have worked (with) and learned from Dr. B. Rich. I believe in the strategies I have learned from NUA. I always will use the information to help me be a better teacher. I hope students will grow academically and developmentally to be great second graders for next year. I learned how to better align and frame my instruction. I feel invigorated and better prepared to teach my students strategies that can better equip them to become independent learners. I believe no matter the circumstance ALL students can learn. Learning is modifiable. I always will use what I learned from NUA! I learned a new dimension of teaching. I feel empowered to be a better teacher. I believe all students have the right to learn. I always will use the strategies I learned from NUA. I hope that each day I can help at least one student become a better reader. I learned more about how children learn and how we need to teach them. I feel empowered with valuable new knowledge. I believe it will make a difference for all Southwick children and teachers. I always will use the powerful learning tools we've been given so all children can learn. Richard Allington interview in Education Week: |
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home